Friday, February 15, 2008

9K and his diagnosis


Thank you Lacey for reminding me I had yet to post that! :)


9K was diagnosed by the school psychologist, who has been meeting with him weekly all year, as ADHD and ODD. Now, I was a child psych major for 2 years, but I had never heard of ODD. I don't know how I missed that, or why I didn't think there was a diagnosis for this issue, but it makes perfect sense. ODD stands for Oppositional Defiance Disorder. You can read more about it here:http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_families/children_with_oppositional_defiant_disorder
I don't know how to put a link in. I am just not that skilled. Sorry.
It defines 9K. I should have caught this and now I feel guilty and determined to seek help for him now that I am aware. Like I said in my last post, he has his first meeting with a child/family psychologist in 2 weeks. We are addressing this issue. We are working on the diet, and we feel he is doing better at home. But of course as soon as I feel that way this happens...
I recieved this e-mail from one of his teachers today.
Dear K and C,
We have been working with 9K since we met at his IEP. He comes into room 23 from 8:30 to 9:30 Monday through Friday. We work with him on Language Arts. It is quite a struggle for him to attend, even in a group of one teacher to four students. In his classroom, he is impulsive and inattentive. His MAPS scores went down and we'd like to share those with you. He scored lower on a math Posttest in class this week, than on the pretest. I would like to invite you to come to His School and observe or "shadow" 9K some morning during his academic time in my room 23, and in his classroom. It would help us open up further dialogue with you on how we can best help him to attend to instruction. For example, he was chewing gum in my class on Monday. I told him on Tuesday that this was alright to do, in my room, since it is a strategy that helps some ADD/ADHD people focus better. How do you feel about this strategy for him? Please call me at His School at... and let me know when you can come in and observe and/or shadow 9K working. It will give you a better picture of how challenging it is for him to learn in school. Thank you for your interest in working with us, for 9K's learning.
This is a ploy. I know a lot of you read that and think, "oh what attentive and caring teacher this lady is" But no. See the bold text. I know what she means. She means...PUT THIS BOY ON MEDS! I see it loud and clear. We know he struggles. And if C went in to shadow him like she was suggesting he would do just fine, be on his best behavior. It would not give us a good idea of how it's working. It might be the same if I went in, but usually he is much better behaved for his father than me, since he is still testing the waters and figuring out what he can and can't get away with. We will see. I'm going to call the teacher and see if I can come in on a thursday because I don't work and don't have classes till 2:30. *sigh*
I'm gonna go veg on the couch now and debate how much healthy choice ice cream you can eat before it's no longer a healthy choice. :)
-K

5 comments:

jules said...

My husband had ODD when he was growing up - and a plethora of other anti-authority, anti-pay attention in school stuff. Part of that was because he was gifted and put in regular classes, so he was bored.

I am not sure how Monkey's school is, but I'm a teacher I can tell you that I do not say that a kid needs to be on meds unless he absolutely needs to be on meds. I hate when parents dope up their kids (mostly boys) just to calm them down from being kids. But sometimes, a kid really would benefit from taking medication.

Giving him medication now doesn't mean he will have to take it the rest of his life. My husband stopped right out of high school. AND I know that if you and his father are totally anti-med, none of this will make a difference. But, maybe getting a second opinion? If he misses out on what he supposed to be learning in school right now, it will affect him for the rest of his education. This is the stuff he will use to learn the other stuff.

Also, I have heard of schools suing parents for NOT putting their kids on meds. AND THEY WIN. I definitely do not agree with this, it should be the parent's choice, but be careful.

Day said...

I have an idea what you are going through. You and C have the right idea, I think. You should exhaust other options, diet and discipline, before moving towards medication. We are dealing with a similar issue. Ex is trying to have Monkey diagnosed with ADD. Ex has ADHD and she's projecting. Monkey doesn't exhibit any evidence that would point towards ADD. It is extremely aggrivating. Hold your ground. You obviously are looking out for your stepkids best interest. Good for you!

Stephanie said...

Wow. ODD seems like a HUGE diagnosis for the school psychologist to make, in my humble opinion. Has he already been on a behavior contract with his teacher? I'd be curious to know what the teacher's strategies have been for helping him focus and learn. What are the rewards for good behavior, etc.

I wouldn't rule out meds altogether, but as a parent I would definitely exhaust all other avenues first.

MiChelly said...

My daughter's teacher said the same things with us.... That we should come in and shadow her, so we could see... I told them if we did, she wouldn't act out, she would work her hardest. The teacher was then just telling us, actually said the words, that she would quit working with daughter if we didn't put her on meds then... I was very thankful the school year ended quickly after.

samyuktha said...

Our oldest son is a High School senior and suffers from ADHD. Another post recommended trying “INK for All”, he seems to be more productive when he works with it. Wanted to let other dads know about it here: http://bit.ly/2DWi1K9