Thursday, April 2, 2009

Twitch

I'm trying. I'm trying to ignore the banging coming from the other side of the wall. I'm trying to ignore the screaming and the crying. But now I'm starting to twitch. 10K has stayed home sick today and yesterday. His Grandma is sick as well, and since my time is apparently expendable I'm stuck here. At home. Twitching. Yesterday was just annoying. I tried my best to ignore the attitude because he didn't feel well. I didn't even argue with C over letting him lay on the couch and watch movies all day, which I hate sick kids doing. Then today C wakes me up and tells me that I have to stay home again. Fine. I didn't say a word about him laying all over the couch again, probably getting us all sick in the mean time, I just let it go. Then the whining started. Then the yelling started. Then the tears and yelling while whining started. I was doing a total house cleaning since I have friends coming down from LA this weekend. I told 10K that if he felt so much better he could clean his room and hang up his clothes. I took stuff off the toy and book shelves that didn't belong there and asked him to put them away. His actual words, "You took them down, you put them away." Um, excuse me? Let me check really quick, yep this is YOUR room! If you don't take care of your stuff, I'll just throw it away. "You can't do that. You can't throw away my stuff!" Hmm, why yes, yes I can. If you don't care enough about it to put it where it belongs or take care of it, then you don't care if I throw it away. It took everything I had not to go grab a trash bag just like my mother would have done. Instead I walked out. Later I came back and continued organizing and cleaning, and in the process tripped over a broken scooter. I asked 10K to run it down to the dumpster. "No, it's fine. I'm not throwing it away!" It's broken. You can't even ride it. Throw it away. "NO!!!! I'M KEEPING IT!" So I called C. I said make him throw the #&*$%@ thing away before I go postal trying to clean this room. So he did. Then he wanted lunch. Fine dude, I'm vacuuming. There is soup in the cupboard. He makes it. It sits on the counter. He says he now doesn't want it. Wasted. I start cleaning the kitchen. I tell him he has 10 minutes to eat what he made, or I am going to throw it away and he's not eating till dinner. Fine, throw it away, he says. So I do. Now he's back slobbering and coughing all over my couch while screaming he's not sick. I ignore him. I finally tell him that I want him to go lay down and take a nap because I'm tired of the whining and he needs rest. He flat out says, "No. I'm allowed to be out here if I want to be." I asked if he was in some delusional state where he made the rules. He said my rules were stupid and stormed into his room. Then he calls C and whines that I am making him stay in his room all day. (What?! It's been 15 minutes!) So I tell C about the fits and C agrees he needs to rest and tells 10K that. So now, I'm trying to ignore the banging of drum sticks and hellish racket that is coming from the other side of my living room wall. I am not good with sick kids. When I was a nanny and had to take care of sick kids it drove me crazy. I am a total germaphobe and I don't want to get sick! That's why I think sick kids should stay in their rooms. Then all I have to do is change their sheets, vacuum and lysol the hard surfaces. Now I have to disinfect my couch, the recliner, the kitchen table, the remotes and everything else he rubbed on. Yech! When I was a kid, I had no choice. If I stayed home sick, I stayed in my room and read books. My mom would bring me food, check my temperature and deliver medicine. If I was okay by the evening I could watch tv with the family, but I wasn't allowed to cough all over everyone like he did last night when the girls were here and like he's been trying to do to me all day! Well, at least this is one thing I know I will have control over with my own kids. :P And at least my house is clean so I don't have to do it tomorrow...Woo-saaah...Wooo-saaaaaah. *rubbing earlobes*

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Hang in. I'm not surprised that he's testing you as much and as often as he is. It will get better. Have I already suggested therapy?