Monday, September 10, 2007

Work

This past weekend felt really empty. C and I were sitting in the pool yesterday, and I looked at him and said, "You know, it feels really weird this weekend. Like we should have the kids right now." and he laughed and said, "Yeah, I know exactly what you mean"

I believe I've mentioned that I'm a nanny, but I don't think I've ever really talked about the kids I spend most of my days with. First, I have 2 brothers. 3 and 9 months. I have them 3 days a week. I'll call the 9 month old Lieven, (meaning: Loving friend) because he is just THE sweetest baby lovey munchins. :) The 3 year old I'll call Baldavin (meaning: Bold friend) He is the turkey that if you let out of your sight for-just-one-second he is gone. Off on an adventure all his own. He goes to preschool in the mornings while Lieven and I just relax and play. I enjoy these kids a lot.

The other 2 days of the week are spent with Grant (meaning: Great, Tall) and Aidyn (meaning: Little fire) Grant is 5, he is in kindergarten and is huge. Aidyn is 3, in the same preschool as Baldavin but I watch her on non preschool days. She is a spit fire. I wish we could wait until we know a kids personality to name them. Then the name you give them would really fit well.

There is one other family I watch midweek combined with Lieven and Baldavin.
Lalage (prnounced lah-LAH-yeh meaning: talkative, chatterbox) is 3, and in the same preschool as both Aidyn and Baldavin. Her little brother, Conan (meaning: little wolf hound) is 18 months.

Alright I know that was a lot. Imagine my poor brain, 6 kids plus my 3 step kids, PLUS random ones I watch here and there. lol It's a good thing I like kids huh!

I'm in school to become a teacher, mostly kindergarten/first grade I think. I never would become a teacher if these rules were still in effect!!!


Rules for Teachers in 1915 in the US
1. You will not marry during the term of your contract.
2. You are not to keep company with men.
3. You must be home between the hours of 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. unless attending a school function.
4. You may not loiter downtown in ice cream stores.
5. You may not travel beyond city limits unless you have the permission of the chairman of the board.
6. You may not ride in a carriage or automobile with any man unless he is your father or brother.
7. You may not smoke cigarettes.
8. You may not dress in bright colors.
9. You may under no circumstances dye your hair.
10. You must wear at least two petticoats.
11. Your dresses must not be any shorter than two inches above the ankle.
12. To keep the school room neat and clean, you must:
* sweep the floor at least once daily
* scrub the floor at least once a week with hot, soapy water
* clean the blackboards at least once a day
* start the fire at 7 a.m. so the room will be warm by 8 a.m.


BOOOOORRRING! haha what a crappy profession back in the day. Anyways, I hope everyone has a great week!!

No comments: