Tuesday, October 28, 2008

5K and School

So parent teacher conferences are supposed to be this Thurs. and Fri. but C and I can't figure out how to make it work, with only one car and me having to work. So I e-mailed 5K's teacher, and yes, it was a very long e-mail, but I have a lot of concerns and questions. She seems nice, but I've barely had a moment to speak with her since the school year's started, and I'm afraid she's gotten me confused with the Ex. (ewwww) haha but also I'm worried because instead of answering my questions, she just requested to meet, but I dunno, I'm confused. Read on.

-------------
To: Teacher Lady
Subject: 5K

Mrs. TL (teacher lady),
I know we had spoken earlier about having an appointment at, I believe, noon on the 30th but I am unable to attend at that time. I was wondering if we could have a phone conversation regarding her progress. I am concerned because she doesn't seem to be getting the sounds of all her letters. I am an IA for a kindergarten class at suchandsuch elementary and so I do some of the work I do with my lowest group with 5K, but I don't know if she is just tired from a full day or really isn't getting it. Unfortunately my husband and I don't see her more than a few hours during the week, and every other weekend, so I cannot assess her the way I can my students. Also I have asked her about beginning and ending sounds, but she seems very eager to guess without thinking it through and only gets them right about 50% of the time. I've not had time to assess her math skills, but I hope she is doing better with that. She can count from 1-20 well, but like I said, I haven't tested her for number recognition. Also, I was wondering what happens in the way of homework. I assume she has reading, but I have only had 2 worksheets for her to do on Wednesday's since the beginning of the year. Is this not a regular homework day? Could you please send me a schedule of what you do in class because I am unaware of how a full day kindergarten works, since mine is only half day. I'm sorry I have not come into the class to volunteer, but as it is I work right in the middle of the day, so it would be hard for me to get down there and back before work. I am available Monday November 10th since I do not have school that day. I would love to come and spend the day observing her if that's alright with you. I could also help out with whatever you need. Please call me and let me know if all of this is okay with you. I'm sorry I haven't written you sooner, and I know I included a lot in this e-mail, please don't feel bombarded! I have wanted to write you for a few weeks, so everything's kind of piled up! :) Thank you!
-C and K
-------------------------

From: TL (teacher lady)
To: me

Hi Ms. K,
Thank you so much for your email. We are scheduled to meet at 8a.m. on Friday, Oct. 31st. Since this is a different time than what you thought (maybe your older daughter) you might be able to make it?? Please let me know. I would love to meet with you in person if we could.
Thanks so much,
TL
----------------------

To: TL
From: me

Mrs. TL,
I think the 8 am time on Friday is when (CrAzY), 5K's mom, is supposed to meet with you. Unfortunately, we will have to meet separately. I appreciate your understanding. If, in fact, you do mean this to be the time for my husband and I, I will of course do everything in my power to attend, although my husband will not be able to. I would love to meet with you in person as well. :) Thanks,
K
--------------------


So, I think she thought I was the Ex? Or maybe not? I don't rightly know. I'm worried because she didn't answer a single question I asked, which makes me always fear the worst. If everything was fine, as a teacher myself, I think she would have said so. Also she referred to 8K as my daughter, not my step-daughter so either she's super hip, and is totally cool with the step-parent thing, or she thought I was Her. Hmmm...at least she got back to me right away. 8K's teacher has not. I assumed a phone conversation would be fine if everything was going well, but now I'm really concerned since she is pressing to meet in person. UGGGH. What happened to the good ole days when kids went to school for a few hours, there was no homework and school stopped at 5th grade...I guess we could always move to the Ozarks.... :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is all in all not a bad response. I'm speaking about the friendliness of communication (i do agree that she didn't answer a single question) From my past experience Teachers can be much more rude. It may be in your best interest to try to meet with her in person just so she has a face to put with the name. It may help her distinguish between you and BioMom. Good luck! I hope conferences go better for you than they did for us :)

TripleKTrouble said...

Oh I've met her before, and I know she is a nice person, and seemed receptive to the fact that I am involved. I just hope she doesn't expect me to sit with the Ex in a confrence! :)

Anonymous said...

LOL....aw, come on...one big happy family. I know exactly where you're coming from. And there are times that the hubby and I and biomom and her new hubby do all come together for the kids...it’s almost always awkward and sometime futile...and when it's all said and done the hubby and I joke about our "functionally dysfunctional family" :) I'll cross my fingers that it all goes well and you don't end up with a group conference.

Stephanie said...

It does sound like she's confused. Hope you get a chance to work it out with her. It's been my experience that most teachers are cautious initially about the stepparents being involved, but when they find out you're really all about the kiddos, they loosen up quite nicely. :)