Monday, October 20, 2008

Homeless Kids

Okay this is completely off the usual subject of what horror I'm going through on a particular day, but I just did something for an acquaintance (not even a good friend) that I am struggling with. So this acquaintance, lets call her Judy comes over out of nowhere and tells me her and her boyfriend Joe, (haha the Judges) found a lady at the end of her boyfriends work street, in pitch black, making pb and j's for 3 kids, sitting on the ground at 9 o'clock at night, next to a beat up station wagon. Well Judy is a mom, and being as her kids are at their dad's house Sunday and Monday night, invites this lady back to their apartment out of pity for the kids. Well, she shows me how this lady has proceeded to basically unpack all of their belongings, and that she is not the kids mother, (apparently both parents are dead) but their aunt. Well the story gets more and more circumspect as it goes on, and now she's scared this lady kidnapped the kids, is homeless, and is now planning to become a squatter. Btw, California law states if you invite someone into your home, and they stay for 48 hours, you are by law required to give them 60 days notice to kick them out. The cops won't even come. So we are going onto 26 hours at this point, and she's freaked. She was scared if she called the cops to come check this lady out that they would peace before the cops even got there, so she asked me and C to do it. Well, we were a little nervous, but Joe texted us just about 30 minutes ago to say she was there, so I called the cops. I'm terrified they're going to scare the kids, but what if they're kidnapped? She gave this shmuck story about how the mom's been dead, and the husband just died, and apparently it was all so easy to find as to type in a web page and its on that city's front page news. Well, says the cynic in me, that was tooooo easy. She offered up the website to prove her story, but to me, that seems very fishy. She could have easily assumed the name of the new aunt taking three kids (were not named in the story), and they really could just be anyone. So did I do the right thing people? Should I have just stayed out of it? I'm really torn and am waiting up to see what happens...I'll update this after...

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

That is just bizarre. What happened?

Lacey said...

Wow. Need update! ;)

superwoman said...

oh my gosh! That IS bizarre!!!!! Whats going on???????