Friday, October 24, 2008

The Kids

Okay so I've been a little preoccupied with things like homeless kids and Oprah, but time for some nitty-gritty. First off, I'm concerned about 5K and what's going on in kindergarten. While most kids in my kindergarten class know 99% of the sounds of their letters, 5K seems to know about 10-15 on a good day. On a bad day she refuses to say any of them. Also, the Ex (who is insane, just a reminder) while on one of her rants (since we are BFF's again) told me that she HATES when teachers have kids memorize their little books they make because, and I quote, "They aren't REALLY reading!" Um...duh. They are learning left to right tracking and word association. Unless they were taught at home, by a dedicated parent, none of them know how to read. (I have one in my class that reads at a second grade level, but that's it) So if she's not supportive of how kids learn, I don't see a lot of success in the future. I mean, look at where 10K ended up. Not only that, her teacher has started her on sight words, which is odd because she doesn't know the sounds of her letters yet. I don't know. I need to get in there. Well any ways, 5K came over about 2 weeks ago with a cut under her lip. I asked her what happened and she told me, "Mommy was cutting up salad and I wanted to do it to, and mommy left so I picked up the knife and accidentally poked myself" Yikes. *Note to self, don't leave knives out!* So now she has this gnarly scabbed thing on her face...ugh poor baby.

Now, about 8K. The Ex calls to chit-chat about her because she is now doing what 10K did in third grade. She is hiding homework, lying about it, and getting in trouble at school. Great. Juuuust Faaabulous. She was the one we thought we weren't going to have to worry about! So now I am very concerned about both girls and school. I know for a fact that if 8K throws a big enough fit, the Ex will just throw her hands up in the air and not make her do anything. Also she doesn't check backpacks or make sure there isn't other work that needs to be done. So I have meetings with both their teachers next week, so we'll see how that goes...Anyways I hope everyone has a good day!

3 comments:

Stepmonster said...

Poor 5K- it's early in the year though so hopefully she will find her way. I know my son really took to the Leapster stuff that really helped him with his alphabet and reading...does she have any of that stuff? Maybe pull it back out and start playing with it and see if she bites.

Sorry to hear about 8K -that just stinks. Sounds like she doesn't feel confident doing the homework which is why she lies and hides it :(

I can completely empathize with your struggles with the EX...

Stephanie said...

Hope the meetings with the teachers go well. GOod for you for getting in there and trying to assure their success. There's nothing worse, in my book, than a parent who refuses to help their kids with the basics in life. The Ex in your world and The Egg Donor in mine sound similar in that regard.

Living said...

Hi... My son had the same problem as 5K and by the end of the year he was fine... so keep the head up!